After a lot of internal debate, I have decided to replace the two “Aggie pods” in my studio with cut down tripods. What I did was this:
For the cameras, we are going to mount them right on top of the monitor. To do this costs about $4 for two mounts. What you need are two standard 3/8 inch cable wallplates like these from Lowe’s, cost .57 cents each. And you need two 1/4 inch -20 bolts with nuts and about 6 lags or washers. On the bolt, place one washer, then the plate, then five washers and then the bolt. This should leave less than 1/8 of an inch of bolt to mount your camera on. Duct tape the completed plate assembly on the top of the monitor. The monitor needs to be the kind that tilts up and down. This allows you to tilt the camera into the proper position. Flip out the camera’s monitor and turn it so the anchor can see themselves in it. That way, they know if they are out of the frame.
But over time I can see that it is too limited. It does not allow you to pan or tilt. So, we are going to try an correct the problem. I have two old (3-5 years) Vivitar tripods that I never liked. They are tough, but without a quick release head, they are not so useful. Right now we use them only as back up tripods if one breaks. So, I took one and cut it down. Removed the center post of the elevator, except for about two inches and cut the legs off at about five inches.
What I plan to do is spread the short legs out and then duct tape it to the top of the monitor. Basically turning the monitor into a tripod base with a head on it. I’ll tell you how it turns out.
I hacked up one tripod, but it didn’t work like I thought it would. Back to the drawing board.